Get access to our job listing after finishing the course
The geostatistics is applied in mineral exploration and mining process at various stages and in many different ways. For example, estimation of mineral resources is a common process in the mining life cycle. During exploration an estimate of the material of interest (say, gold, iron ore, copper etc.) provides guidance for the next stage of exploration and decision making. Accuracy and reliability of the estimates are very important.
During exploration planning, geostatistics is also used for making decisions for further drilling and effectiveness of the drilling. During mine planning, a reliable resource estimate is as important as the correctness of the mine-plat itself. Accuracy of the reserve estimates is directly dependent on the accuracy of the resource estimates. Geostatistical technics are quite useful in producing reliable resource estimates and also provide tools for assessing the quality of the estimates.
Advanced geostatistical techniques are helpful in assessing risks in resource/reserve estimates. Geostatistics is also used in defining stope size in underground mining method. Geostatistical techniques are used as well in mining projects to optimize the mine production plan in order to improve the cash flow.
The course is offered by Dr Abani R Samal of USA, a very experienced and renowned mining industry professional known for his expertise and experience in geostatistics.
This course is designed for geologists, mining engineers and other technical professionals engaged in the mineral exploration and mining industry for improving and building competencies in applications of geostatistics applied in exploration and mining operation. Participants will learn about:
- Steps followed in mineral deposit modeling and estimation of resources
- Introductory level geostatistics
- Application of geostatistics in mineral exploration and mining
- Kriging techniques and their applications.
- Resource model validation
- Grade and tonnage estimates
- Introduction to nonlinear techniques:
- Uniform Conditioning and application in deciding the smallest size of the mining unit
- Conditional simulation and its aplications
- The fundamental concepts of controls of mineralization and the different styles of mineralization
- Introduction to some known software tools